Timeline of Napoles surrender

  • 5 years ago
MANILA – Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda confirmed Thursday that he was the first to learn about the possible surrender of businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles as early as Wednesday afternoon. In a press conference, Lacierda said he received news that Lorna Kapunan, Napoles’ lawyer, had mentioned on TV that her client was willing to surrender. This was after President Aquino had offered a P10 million reward for Napoles’ arrest. Below is the timeline of events leading to Napoles’ surrender on Wednesday. At 12:37 pm, Lacierda called up Kapunan and confirmed the surrender feelers. He said Kapunan seemed to be talking to a conduit to communicate with Napoles. “They wanted to surrender but Ms Janet Napoles was fearing for her life. There were threats on her life,” he said. He recalled Kapunan as saying: “We want to surrender to the President because he’s the person we can trust.” At 4:06 pm, Kapunan called back and said her client was willing to surrender and that her only request was that her safety be secured. By that time, President Aquino had already talked to Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas about Napoles’ possible surrender. Lacierda said Aquino instructed Roxas to turn over Napoles to the Philippine National Police after her surrender. The spokesman said Kapunan asked him to go to Pasong Tamo. Roxas provided vehicles and security for Lacierda. At 6:50 pm, Lacierda left Malacañan. On the way, he got a call from Kapunan who told him to go to White Space exhibition hall in Pasong Tamo. Upon reaching White Space, Lacierda met Kapunan who was with Jimmy Napoles, husband of Mrs. Napoles. He said the three of them boarded a vehicle and then proceeded to Heritage Park in Taguig. At 8:06 pm, the three arrived at Heritage Park where they stayed until 9:08 p.m. During that time, Mr. Napoles was calling and texting someone on the phone. At 9:08 pm, 2 women arrived – one of whom was Mrs. Napoles. Lacierda said the second woman was an assistant who was carrying Mrs. Napoles’ things. Lacierda said the group then went back to Malacañang. At 9:37 pm, the group arrived in Malacañang where they underwent security checks. Mrs. Napoles underwent a medical checkup. Mrs. Napoles then talked to President Aquino, Philippine National Police chief Alan Purisima, Executive Secretary Jojo Ochoa, Secretary Rene Almendras, Secretary Mar Roxas, Secretary Ramon Carandang, Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte and Undersecretary Manolo Quezon for about 10 minutes. Kapunan thanked President Aquino for receiving Napoles. Aquino said he already gave instructions to Roxas and Purisima to assure Napoles’ safety. Napoles was then brought to Camp Crame where she was booked. Accompanying her were Lacierda, Roxas, Almendras, Mr. Napoles, Napoles’ assistant and Kapunan. Lacierda said the President went ahead of their group to Camp Crame “to make sure the premises were secure.” He left shortly after.